[birdky] Sunflower seed and flying squirrels

  • From: "Douglas Hennig" <hennig@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bird KY'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:26:56 -0400

Greetings:

I wasn?t able to respond to the comments about the cost of sunflower seed
that were posted the other day.  I purchase 50 # bags of black oil here in
eastern Kentucky in West Liberty or near Mt. Sterling and as a last
resort?Wal-Mart?s anywhere.

My beef isn?t so much with the rising costs but with the content of the bags
I purchase.  Yes there are hard times for farmers?especially with drought
etc.  But mill operators please don?t fill the bags with stems, shells and
so chaff just to reach 50#s.  I pay more per bag when I recognize a company
that usually packages quality seed.  Wonder if any state or national birding
organizations have ever considered notifying mills or packagers to say that
a large group of folks despise their lack of business scruples?

Flying squirrels  Yep, we see them often at one of our largest feeders at
night when they activate our motion lights.  In the past, we only blamed
raccoons for raiding our ?all night café?.  Now we know the coons have
competition!  Squirrelly little rascals if I do say so myself.  Fast as
greased lightning as my grandmother used to say.  :-)

OK, I?ll stick to strictly bird issues from now on.

Doug Hennig

1160?

Near the Morgan-Magoffin-Wolfe County lines?not far from mile marker 60 on
the Mountain Parkway.