[birdky] Spunky Merlins

  • From: "Roseanna" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:16:29 -0400

I was watching an American Kestrel at the Lake Cumberland WMA today when a
Merlin came in and began
to harass it. A second Merlin came in, but soon peeled off.

My dog flushed a rail while we were walking through the vegetation around the
pond. Fish & Wildlife
usually mows this area in the fall; but this year, when they tried to drain the
pond, beaver dammed
it up. There's some water left in the pond and the area was too wet to mow.
There is some habitat
for sparrows and, apparently, rails. There were several Swamp Sparrows using
the area.

~Roseanna Denton
roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx
Science Hill, KY