[birdky] Sora & Mallard in hay field

  • From: "lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:39:08 -0500

While mowing orchard grass and red clover hay today I flushed a Mallard hen -
probably ruined her nest. Also repeadedly flushed a Sora which kept going back
into the uncut hay. As luck would have it, I had my camera with me because I
was hoping to see some young Savannah Sparrows. No luck there. I had been
seeing an adult  Savannah Sparrow at the exact same spot in this hay field for
several weeks, but did not see it yesterday and thought it may have young just
off the nest. Guess it headed north instead.  Anyway, I got several poor but
recognizable shots of the Sora, both in the hay field and in an adjoining
pasture. Also in the same field - a young Cottontail Rabbit with light reddish
blond fur, several Bobwhites and numerous Red-winged Blackbirds and Eastern
Meadowlarks.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County