[birdky] Snipe and RN Grebe in southern KY

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BIRDKY'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:21:03 -0500

We spotted several groups of Wilson's Snipe along Hall's Store Road, in SE
Logan Co., this morning ~8:45 AM CDT.  There were at least 30, with 20+ in
one group, all of them in swampy corn stubble.

On the way home, around 3:00 PM, we stopped at Basil Griffin Park in Bowling
Green, hoping to see the Red-necked Grebe that Chad Wilson reported seeing
there on Tuesday.  I wasn't hopeful, because the park was teeming with human
activity on this lovely warm afternoon.  We'd nearly given up, when one last
look produced a Red-necked Grebe diving near several Pied-billed Grebes.  It
was nearly 200 yards away, but it gave us some really good looks.  It was  a
first for all of us!

Grebe photo posted:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/13179360094/