[birdky] Small, lightweight inexpensive binoculars

  • From: "Joyce Dawson" <JVDawson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:25:46 -0400

Hi friends,
I'll be spending a month in Peru and Bolivia and will be doing some birding
along the way.  I don't want to take my expensive (and large) Leica Ultra
10x42BA binoculars because of the potential loss as well as the size and
weight.   (Especially since the trip will NOT primarily be a birding trip).

Can anyone suggest a small/compact pair of binoculars that I might find at a
discount store such as National Camera Exchange for less than $250 - that would
be both light to travel and carry in my travel-purse as well as not be a major
loss if stolen or lost.

I'll be using Barry Walker's Guide to Machu Picchu - and will be birding mostly
in the areas in and around Cuzco/Machu Picchu, Puno/Lake Titicaca and Arequipa
(Great site nearby to watch Andean Condors).  I'll be with Peruvian friends
rather than an organized tour.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done birding in the highlands of Peru,
Bolivia, or northern Chile... with any tips.

Thanks,
Joy Dawson
Lexington, KY
sharingjoy@xxxxxxx<mailto:sharingjoy@xxxxxxx>