[birdky] Sloughs: Friday and Sunday & some FOS

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:05:58 -0500

Friday, 3/30, afternoon I hit the Sloughs until rain sent me home.

4PM to 6PM high overcast with thunderstorms approaching from the west. Eventually rain. 75º

268 slough, Gentle Pond, Pond Creek Marsh, and Ohio River

Highlights:

Common Loons on the Ohio River adjacent to the Sloughs. First I seen in years. One was floating down river with the current and the second was further down river calling (but I never saw it.) Bald Eagle: one on the nest another perched at the west end of Pond Creek Marsh
Peregrine Falcon Pond Creek Marsh
Wilson's Snipe
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
White-throated Sparrows

Sunday, 4/1.

6:30AM to 1PM
Clear 55º rising to 70º

Hardy Slough, Ohio River, Pond Creek Marsh, Gentle Pond, 268 slough, Cape Hills

Highlights:

FOS:
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers everywhere
Parula Warblers in Cape Hills
Louisiana Waterthrush: pair at Cape Hills

Double Crested Cormorants: 3 at 268 slough
Shovelers
Hooded Mergansers
Bald Eagle: 1 on nest, another over Hardy Slough
N. Harrier over Hardy Slough
Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs at Hardy Slough
Pectoral Sandpiper Hardy Slough
Yellow-rumped Warbler

Note: Coot numbers are dropping.
Thunderstorms and rain during the night apparently brought in the FOS

Non-bird:
ticks
Coyote

Charlie