[birdky] Shorebirds today

  • From: "Scott & Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:22:50 -0500

Spent all morning birding from Ballard WMA at daybreak to Columbus and back to
Ballard to check Dam 53 on the way home.  The heron/egret roost at Mitchell has
dwindled somewhat but still contains 150 great egrets, 15 snowys and at least
50 great blues.   Highlights including Ballard and Carlisle counties:

Miss Kite  6 +
Bald eagle  2
Semi Plover  10 +
Killdeer  200 +
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  3
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Spotted Sandpiper  6 +
Sanderling  1
Semi  sandpiper  50 +
Least sandpiper  50 +
Pectoral sandpiper  25+
Wilson's snipe  2
Wilson's phalarope  3
Least tern  20
Swallows-several thousand

The real highlight was 2 juvenile W. phalaropes on the Miss river at Town Creek
Unit that let me approach to within about 50 feet and continued to feed and put
on a show for me.  The sanderling was there as well but was a little more
skittish.  It didn't sit still for many photos.  A word to the wise,  "you
can't out distance a sanderling; don't even try".  The other phalarope was
still at Ballard as were the yellowlegs and the snipe.

Good birding
Scott Record
Ragland KY