[birdky] Shorebirds and more

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "HapC1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:00:11 -0400

A few interesting stops this afternoon added to my spring shorebird list.
Morgan pond area was the most productive habitat. I ran into Joe Hall of
TN when I arrived. We had 11 species of shorebirds which included LB
Dowitcher, 2 Willets, 2 Stilt Sandpipers, 1 Dunlin, 2 Semipalmated Plover and
all
the other expected shorebirds. The complete list can be viewed on ebird at:
While we scanned the pond directly on highway 117 a Fort Campbell officer
stopped to see what we were doing. Joe had called to let them know there
were birders in the area. Joe was told he called the wrong number but we were
not given the correct number to call. This is what happened to me several
years ago. If you go to the area, I would suggest pulling off in the gravel
pull off across from the wet spot and scoping from that area. They may ask
you to leave but it is a public highway.
Morgan Pond was full of water and was not as productive as the wet spot
along the road.
Long Creek at LBL hosted a few Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpiper. Hundreds
of Cormorants, Egrets and herons are once again on the breeding island.
Hap
Murray, KY