[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., snow day...list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 19:07:30 -0600

We were "trapped" home by snow and ice today.  It was the first really
significant snow cover we've had here in south Logan Co. this year and the
bird activity was amazing at the feeders.  We counted 30 total species for
the day, all but the Meadowlarks, Red-headed and Bobwhites from the
breakfast nook window.  We too had unusually large flocks of Grackles,
Redwings and Cowbirds, but we also had at least six DE Juncos around the
feeders, (we rarely see even a single).  We also watched a Fox Sparrow for
several hours and counted our first ever American Tree Sparrow here, which
appeared literally under the window (takes our "house" count to 124).  Once
again, the Hairy WP announced his presence by tapping on the deck!  We
noticed several Doves and White-crowned Sparrows that were missing most, or
all, of their tail feathers today.  We're speculating that they went to bed
wet, in the torrential rain, and froze fast to whatever they were roosting
on(?)

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite