[birdky] Sawyer State Park Woodcock Birdwatching

  • From: Patrice Pittman <patrice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:29:51 -0500

I heard one woodcock "peent" on Feb. 15 (Fri.)  I will set up several guided viewing times once a few more woodcocks arrive.

RE:  E. P. Tom Sawyer Woodcock Viewing

"Woodcocks will call in the cold or in a gentle rain, but they do not like to sky display if it is very windy, so check the weather."   "The best time to hear/see woodcocks is between sunset and dusk."

Park in the Freys Hill parking lot ONLY.     3000 Freys Hill Road     (Hurstbourne Pkwy parking lot is closed.)

As you would do in any parking lot, keep valuables hidden in car.

Please stay on gravel maintenance road while viewing - do not meander around park on trails.

Directions:  From the Freys Hill parking lot, walk up to sidewalk in front of Rec. Bldg. Go left to get on Fitness Trail. Continue walking west (a short distance) until you see a wide maintenance road on right. Continue on this road (heading toward Hurstbourne Blvd.), continue past gully on left (road will become a gravel road), and past port-o-let on right. Woodcock Field (somewhat open field) will be just up on the left.

The Woodcock Viewing Guidelines (abbreviated) are from the former park manager. Any additional guidelines from the new park manager will be forthcoming.

Patrice Pittman (Sawyer Volunteer)

502-235-8046

patrice@xxxxxxxxx

Louisville, KY

Woodcock Viewing Guidelines

Birders of KY and Beyond,

EP Tom Sawyer State Park is very pleased to be home to a diverse landscape which provides many opportunities for wildlife watching.  Birding at the park can be very rewarding! The park has posted that trails close at dusk, and the park closes at 10pm.  We understand that some species prefer dusk or dark, and that is when they are best viewed.  We strive to provide opportunities to the community that will enhance their lives and create lasting memories.  The Woodcock provides one such opportunity. In order to view the woodcocks, you must be at the park past sunset. This will be allowed for this opportunity. Do not approach or frighten the birds.