[birdky] Sandhill Cranes and Feeder Birds

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:53:52 -0500

Coming home from school yesterday I watched about 25 Sandhill Cranes fly over
the road heading west just before I turned down my road.  It's only the second
time that I've ever seen Sandhill Cranes in this area.....the other time being
this past fall.

At the feeder Sunday morning I saw some birds that at first I thought were
Cowbirds.....but upon closer inspection realized that they definitely were not
Cowbirds.   I'm pretty sure that they were Rusty Blackbirds....a first for me.
 I continued to put out seed, nuts, fruit, and homemade suet all day.  The
homemade suet was the first of the season but I've been feeding the rest all
along.   I only have one White-throated Sparrow coming in addition to the
regular Titmice, Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Carolina Wren, etc.    I
had Juncos (which came late this year) and only one White-crowned Sparrow
earlier as well.......but they have disappeared.  This is puzzling to me as
I've always had them as regulars.....and more when it snows.

On a side note.....I spent the week in New Mexico at Thanksgiving.   I birded
Bosque del Apache and the Magdalena Mountains.   It was so nice to get back
there.   I've posted images from the trip on my website if anyone is interested.

Lana Hays
Walton, KY
www.lanahays.com