[birdky] Sandhill Crane protectors unite now or forever hold your peace....

  • From: Ce Ci <thefarsidefarm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 07:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

Folks, this is my first posting to BirdKY and it is not about a sighting.

I implore you active birders to become involved, if not already, in the KY Dept
Fish Wildlife Resources proposal to begin killing at least 400 Sandhill cranes
annually starting this year.  KDFWR indicates that their contacts are running 2
to 1 in favor of killing cranes.  I contend this is due to hunter groups being
better organized and due to misinformation being actively distributed by KDFWR
Foundation-affiliated KY Conservation Coalition, that show various birding
groups to be "partners" in the effort to kill cranes.  National Audubon, KY
Audubon Council and KY Ornithological Society have all asked to have their
names removed, but the incorrect information and association remains. (see
http://kycoalition.org/)

If you can help try to stop the Sandhill crane hunt this year at least until
more information on the eastern population and potential outcome from hunting
can be better determined, please contact KDFWR with your views and join up with
the KY Coalition for Sandhill Cranes - http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/.

Sorry, I'm sure this is not the sort of post intended on this listserv but I'm
trying to garner as much support for the cranes as possible - and all the
birders on this listserv are the exact people who are best to intervene and
insist there be more study.  Thank you.
Ceci Mitchell, Frankfort Audubon Chapter
The Far Side Farm, Franklin County KY
502-875-6180