[birdky] Rusty Blackbird Blitz Continues!

  • From: "Heyden, Kathryn (FW)" <kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:49:19 +0000

REMINDER: the Rusty Blackbird Migration Blitz continues through April 6!

Help researchers identify migratory stop-over habitat for Rusty Blackbirds via
a Rusty Blackbird Migration Blitz!

In Kentucky, the Blitz will occur in March and early April 2014.  Participating
is simple.  Look for Rusty Blackbirds and report your observations via
www.ebird.org<http://www.ebird.org> using the "Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration
Blitz" observation type.

In the winter time, places like Ballard WMA, Sloughs WMA, and other wet
agricultural areas, especially in western Kentucky are known to support numbers
of Rusty Blackbirds.  However, this species starts its migration north in March
and can be found in somewhat surprising areas during migration- throughout the
state.

The 2014 Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz challenges birders to scour the
landscape for Rusty Blackbirds during this species' northward migration.  38
states, 9 provinces, and 3 territories will participate in this international
effort to find Rusty Blackbirds; each region is assigned a set of target dates
during which local birders will seek this elusive species.

Visit our Migration Blitz website
(http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/) to learn more about Rusty
Blackbird identification, or get more details about Blitz data collection and
submission.  Also, please see our Facebook page for some interesting tidbits
and updates on the Blitz!  Share our page in your birding groups to help spread
the word: https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz

If you would like to participate but you're not sure where to look, please feel
free to send me an e-mail.  I could likely suggest some good locations to look
in your area.

The map below shows where Blitzers have already found Rusty Blackbirds during
this year's Blitz.  A darker color of purple indicates a higher number of birds
observed.

Thanks very much and have a good weekend!

Kate

[cid:image002.jpg@01CF44EA.D3EEEAC0]

Kate Heyden
Avian Biologist
Nongame Branch
KY Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY  40601
Phone:  1-800-858-1549 ext. 4475
Fax:  502-564-4519
kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx<mailto:kathryn.heyden@xxxxxx>
www.fw.ky.gov<http://www.fw.ky.gov/>

Did you know... Department of Fish and Wildlife receives NO state tax dollars
and manages wildlife for all citizens?
Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachment, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, by e-mail, and

JPEG image