[birdky] Rusty Blackbird

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:07:18 -0500

Okay, 100% positive ID on a RUSTY BLACKBIRD at our ground feeding area this
morning. Very clear views of the head area made the ID easy! BTW, we made a
ground feeding area which is safe from cats by creating a "bird pen" with
48" high wire fencing. Of course, a cat can climb it, but the birds have
time to fly before the cat enters the "pen". And I haven't seen a cat try to
enter it. Obviously shrews and chipmunks are not deterred, but in the frigid
weather present so far in December, I don't think that they are venturing
outdoors. There has been an abundance of EASTERN TOWHEES in the feeding
area, so breeding must have been very successful this year.

Cheers, Joan Carr

South Williamson, Pike Co.