[birdky] Rpt: Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill

  • From: David Lang <de_lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:59:28 -0700

Only three of us braved the misty weather for the ASK walk out at Shaker
Village.  eBird flagged us on the 75 Bobolink that we saw (see note with ebird
report). The molting/young Bobolink that we saw looked a lot like the photo
that Tina Nauman included with her ebird report from Hisle Park on July 17th.
We, unfortunately did not get any photos due to the poor weather.  Otherwise,
pretty much saw what we expected to, except for Grasshopper Sparrows, did not
see or hear any and missed Blue Grossbeak as well. The Scarlet Tanager was on
the top of a tree with a big green bug/caterpillar in it's mouth.

David Lang
Scott County

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Mercer, US-KY
Jul 19, 2014 8:05 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:    David Lang, Joe Swanson, Mark Tower <br />Submitted from BirdLog
NA for iOS, version 1.7.4
49 species

Canada Goose  55
Mallard  4
Northern Bobwhite  12
Great Blue Heron  1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  3
Cooper's Hawk  1
Killdeer  4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  12
Mourning Dove  13
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  3
Chimney Swift  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Willow Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Eastern Kingbird  7
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  9
Tree Swallow  8
Barn Swallow  64
Carolina Chickadee  1
Carolina Wren  3
Eastern Bluebird  4
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  23
Gray Catbird  3
European Starling  28
Cedar Waxwing  3
Prothonotary Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  12
Northern Parula  1
Eastern Towhee  3
Field Sparrow  11
Song Sparrow  19
Summer Tanager  2
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  7
Indigo Bunting  19
Dickcissel  20
Bobolink  75    Saw three loose flocks of birds, all moving left to right, one
after the other. Did not ID each individual in the flocks, but did manage to ID
several individuals in each flock. The birds in the flocks flew as a group with
similar flight patterns. Also identified individuals that dropped into the
field. Saw both male and female birds and either molting or young birds as
we'll.
Red-winged Blackbird  83
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Orchard Oriole  1