[birdky] Re: Rose Breasted Grosbeak

  • From: lisa.blevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:19:59 -0400

Hi Millie, I have a suggestion for you for the safflower seeds for the
grosbeaks that the bigger birds tend to leave alone.  Use a block of
safflower seed from Wild Birds Unlimited.  I am assuming you've heard of
them, if not their website is very good.  They make blocks of seeds that
have a hole in the center that you hang from a hook that goes thru the
center hole and loops around the tree branch.  The grosbeaks can cling to
the block and eat, but the doves and grackles cannot.
Also, if you don't have a WBU close, look at the setup I am talking about
on their website anyway.  I don't think it would be too hard to make one
yourself if you're the handy sort.  Last year I already had the hook and
my local WBU was out of the blocks so I bought a bag of safflower and
rigged up a mold using a paper towel tube as the center and stiff
cardboard as the outer ring.  I mixed up a liquid of egg whites and water
and mixed it with the seeds and baked it at low heat for several hours
till it dried out and it held its shape very well.

This may be waaaay more trouble than you're looking for, but if I was
willing to do it to attract a unique bird like a grosbeak, I am guessing
you are too!  Good luck!

Lisa Blevins
Lexington KY

"Millie" <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: birdky-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/26/2011 07:06 PM
Please respond to
kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[birdky] Rose Breasted Grosbeak

My solitary R-B Grosbeak did not return today. Do they have "scouts" like
other migrating birds? Also the many doves and 3-4 grackles, as well as
the red-winged blackbirds, are eating all the safflower seed I put out
just for the Grosbeaks. There is another platform feeder with plenty of
regular feed in it but...... Does no good to shoo them off. Any
suggestions??
Millie Farmer
St. Matthews, KY