[birdky] River Road survey

  • From: rod <rodmanprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

My apologies for posting this message to Bird Kentucky. However, I think that
at one time or another, even those of  us who aren't residents of Jefferson
County occasionally bird here when in the area. Louisville Metro government has
an online survey seeking input on improvements to the River Road corridor that
links downtown Louisville with Prospect, Kentucky. As birders, here is an
opportunity to provide your two cents on whether or not the future plans for
the River Road corridor should include wildlife and habitat protection. The
survey is available at the link below:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/PublicWorks/Engineering/completestreets/river_road.htm

Yesterday, I was driving along River Road in downtown Louisville where it
passes under the Second Street Bridge just prior to the on-ramp to I-64 East.
As I was driving through the intersection, I noticed a female Mallard with six
ducklings attempting to cross the street. From the river to the grassy area she
was attempting to reach, she and her ducklings had to cross five lanes of
traffic. Since I wasn't in the position to stop, I circled the block and
returned to the intersection. Fortunately, mom and babies made it across
safely. At least that time they did.

Last, but not least, I paddled Elkhorn Creek on July 18, and observed a
Red-headed Woodpecker, a life bird for me. (I've only been keeping a list for
13 months now.) A nice consolation prize since I missed the Red-cockaded
Woodpecker on a recent trip to North Carolina.

Good birding,
Rod Botkins
Jefferson Co.

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the
open air and to eat
and sleep with the earth." Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road