[birdky] RPT:a few Louisville sitings

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:10:07 -0500

I have gone out a little bit lately, but have had limited access to send
reports.  This morning I went to Joe Creason Park and the nature center for an
hour and 20 min., and on Wed. morning I went to Cave Hill Cemetery for a couple
of hours.  On Monday I went to the Indiana side of the river and birded for 2
hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.

Falls of the Ohio, Indiana shore down to Big Four railroad bridge
Nov.10,8:30-10:20 am, 3:00-6:00pm
Horned Grebe-5, 4
Pied-bl. Grebe-18
Great Egret-1
Black-cr. Night-Heron-2 imm., 1 ad.
Am. Black Duck-2
Gadwall-25+
Green-wg. Teal-2
Blue-wg. Teal-2
Am. Widgeon-1
No. Shoveler-24
Wood Duck-1 fem.
Canvasback-1
Ring-nk. Duck-15+
Lesser Scaup-20+
Bufflehead-3
Hooded Merg.-3
Black Vulture-60+
Kestrel-1
Peregrine Falcon-1
Am. Coot-450+
Least Sand.-1
Herring Gull-4
Belted Kingfisher-1
Yellow-bl. Sapsucker-1
Horned Lark-12
Ruby-cr. Kinglet-1
Yellow-rp. Warbler-1
Red-wg. Blackbird-18
Field Sp.-4

Cave Hill Cemetery Nov.12 w/Rod Botkins- 8:30-10:15am
Great Horned Owl-1 hooting by the Baxter entrance
Belted Kingfisher-1
Brown Creeper-1
Golden-cr. Kinglet-15
Ruby-cr. Kinglet-1
Cedar Waxwing-24
Dark-eyed Junco flock of 40 or so contained a bird that looked good for either
"cassiar" or "Oregon" subspecies, however I'm going to start watching them
closer; our own subspecies takes many forms
Pine Siskin -2 flying and calling

Joe Creason Park- Nov.14,8:00-9:20am
falcon sp.-seen in bad light looked reasonably good for Merlin but I don't
trust myself with such a quick glance in those conditions
Golden-cr. Kinglet-4
Cedar Waxwing-20 chasing falcon
Co. Grackle-3
Fox Sparrow-1