[birdky] RPT:Birding at Garvin Brown Preserve 02/18; really not much of note...Wood Ducks

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:49:23 -0500

I spent yesterday afternoon at Garvin Brown Preserve birding with Gerald Heath,
and the first hour or so with Troy Tucker and his fiancee Courtney.  It was
relatively quiet but were happy to flush a pair of Wood Ducks and also see my
first American Tree Sparrows of the year.   A small group of blackbirds coming
into roost at dusk had one individual each of cowbird and Rusty Blackbird.
Hays Kennedy Park-Garvin Brown Preserve, Jefferson, US-KY
Feb 18, 2012 2:00 PM - 6:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: The first hour and half was spent birding with Gerald Heath, Troy
Tucker and Courtney?
35 species

Canada Goose 7
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 21 One was a dark female that had a uniformly dark body and head with
minimal pattern on the feather edges and a uniformly dark gray bill. Otherwise
it might have been mistaken for an immature American Black Duck.
Northern Shoveler 4
Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 3
Turkey Vulture 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
American Kestrel 3
Mourning Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 3
Horned Lark 1
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 2
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 12
European Starling 65
Eastern Towhee 5
American Tree Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 23
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 6
White-crowned Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 10
Red-winged Blackbird 85
Eastern Meadowlark 5
Rusty Blackbird 1
Common Grackle 45
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
House Finch 2

A small pale bird darted quietly and quickly through grass, about a couple
hundred yards from where the trail turns towards the river along the Hays
Kennedy border.  We walked up to where it was and nothing moved.  Could have
been something interesting but got no field marks out of it.

En route an area of small ponds on River Road produced a few Mallards, geese
and a pair of Bufflehead, which was a first for that location.  The small pond
that forms along the treeline bordering Captain's Quarters on private property
contained 3 Green-winged Teal, and a Killdeer was on the farmland opposite.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by a small pond on UPS property that
has been productive.  There were no waterfowl, but there where 6 White-crowned
Sparrows, an American Tree Sparrow, and a flock of about 36-40 cardinals; they
really looked like a blizzard of christmas ornaments.

Michael Autin Louisville, KY