[birdky] RPT:Birding Ohio River at Cox's Park 10/30

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:56:01 -0400

At sunset yesterday after looking through some oppressive-looking apartment
complexes for a friend I decided to bask in the glow of the river sunset.  I
set my scope up and saw scads of ring-bills flying down river and five birds on
the river: the first was a Pied-billed Grebe, and the next was a set of
mysterious looking ducks way downstream.  After running down as far East on the
river as I could get from the park, and with the help of a few passing boats I
saw my first Surf Scoters for the year!  They appeared to be imm./or female,
probably Imm. based on facial markings.  As I was leaving to get into my car
they had floated right out in front of me.  Sometimes it is worth putting extra
effort into blurry distant birds.  Also went to the Falls this morning and
scanned briefly for 20 min.:  nothing of note except flyover flock of Horned
Larks.

Hoping to go to the Indiana shore to pick up some winter birds this
weekend,Michael AutinLouisville, KY