[birdky] RPT: hummers

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:55:58 -0500

I got to see the Eklund's Selasphorus hummer in Danville this morning.  It
visited the feeder five times in about 45 minutes between 7:15 and 8:00 a.m.
Visits ceased along with all other activity in their yard upon the arrival
of the local Cooper's or Sharpie!  It didn't catch anything . . . just
scared the devil out of everybody. Standing outside, the hummer's
characteristic chip notes were quite conspicuous when it arrived in the yard
each time.  I looked closely for a band as it perched in one of the trees in
the yard, especially because it appears to be an adult female, which means
it could have been in the east before!  I saw nothing shiny, but the hi 30s
temps had it pretty puffed up.

On a related note, KOS member, Mary Elam, reports that she still has a MALE
Ruby-throated coming to her feeder in West Liberty, up in Elliott County of
northeastern Kentucky.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx