[birdky] RPT: West KY 9/10/2005

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:45:08 -0400

I have been busy and have neglected to post on Saturday birding with Matt
Stickel and others last Saturday, September 10th.

Matt and I started out at Mitchell Lake, Ballard WMA and as Scott just
posted, found Mitchell Lake to be back down and providing excellent
shorebird habitat ... the Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Resources is to be
thanked for actively providing fall migratory shorebird habitat this year!
There were plenty of birds and nice variety, but no rarities -- Mallard 30,
Wood Duck 30, Blue-wg Teal 30, Green-wg Teal 5, No Shoveler 4, No Pintail 3,
Great Blue Heron 25, Great Egret 60, Snowy Egret 20, Little Blue Heron 2im,
Green Heron 1, Killdeer 250+, Les Yellowlegs 20+, Solitary Sp 2, Least Sp
10+, Pectoral Sp 15, Stilt Sp 6, Wilson's Snipe 10, Least Terns (16+, about
1/2 or more juvs).

We then headed south and looked at the Miss River sandbars from Island No. 1
down to Westvaco WMA ... the river has dropped significantly since it
carried the precip from the remnants of Katrina downstream, but the flats
now exposed were not inundated long enough to establish an invertebrate
population on which to forage. Consequently, there were only a smattering of
shorebirds, and none seemed particularly tied to any one spot with many
moving about.  Between about 4 stops along the river we tallied the
following: Spotted Sp 5; Sanderling 6 juvs; Semipalmated Plover 4; American
Golden-Plover 1 molty adult; Semipalmated Sp 5; Western Sp 2. There were
also still a few Least Terns and waders, but not much else. The sandbar
opposite the Wickliffe, KY waterfront had a loafing juv/1st year Laughing
Gull on the Missouri side.

Other sightings from Ballard to Hickman County included a Dickcissel and
some but way fewer swallows than a week or so prior, including a few Cliffs.

After lunch, we met up with Ben and Mike Yandell, Mary Walter, and Roseanna
Denton in the Land Between the Lakes area and had the following highlights:

Jonathan Creek -- prob 100+ Forster's Terns; 1 probable juv Western Sp;
small numbers of common shorebird, wader species.

Little River, Lake Barkley, Trigg Co. -- 1 adult Laughing Gull, 1 or 2 juv
Western Sps; 1 Wilson's Snipe, a few waders including Snowy and Little Blue.

Eddy Creek, Lake Barkley, Lyon Co. -- only a few shorebirds including 4
Stilt Sps plus 50 Great Egrets.

Bay south of Mineral Mounds State Park, Lake Barkley, Lyon Co. -- 72+
Caspian Terns with the Ringers

Kuttawa heronry -- 113+ Caspian Terns with the Ringers on the spit to the
west of the heronry island. Several thousand waders, most all Cattle Egrets,
that came to roost.

I may have missed a few highlights, but hit most of them.

bpb, Louisville