[birdky] RPT: Transient ponds June 4-5

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:29:10 -0400

I was out in the karst region of southern Kentucky a couple of days this
week.

It was disappointing to see McElroy Lake completely tilled and planted
already! Also essentially *completely* dry already was Swallow Spring in
Christian County. Other bodies of water are retreating quickly now that
hot, dry, windy, growing season weather is upon us.

Chaney Lake is slowly dropping and had a few White-rumps and Semi Sands
Wednesday afternoon, as well as some male Blue-winged Teal, but I
couldn't find any unusual nesting birds.

The complex of karst lakes and ponds around Morgan's Pond in southern
Christian County are the ones maintaining their status the best.
Yesterday in this area I found at least 24 broods of Blue-winged Teal on
six ponds. From the number of single/loafing males around (10-12 on each
of two, for example), it looks like many more broods might appear in the
next week or two. Another brood of teal was seen on a small complex of
ponds in northeastern Trigg County, where I have twice before seen
broods in wet springs like this one was. In the vicinity of Morgan's
Pond I also saw 3 loafing male Northern Shovelers, indicating that we
might see a few broods soon.

Also at and in the vicinity of Morgan's Pond Wed-Thurs were seen ...
broods of Canada Geese, Mallards, and Wood Ducks; 1 female Ring-necked
Duck; 6 Ruddy Ducks; a couple of single Pied-billed Grebes; small
numbers of White-rumped and Semipalmated Sandpipers; 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper; 7 active Black-necked Stilt nests; and
2 Black Terns. Wednesday afternoon, Mark Bennett and I went by the KY
739 transient lake in Logan County and had a few Semipalmated Plovers,
White-rumped Sandpipers, and Semi Sands. On Wednesday evening there was
a Least Tern flying over the portion of Guthrie Swamp visible from KY
848.

bpb, Frankfort