[birdky] RPT: Transient lakes tour ... a great day for cute babies!

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:09:22 -0400 (EDT)

Eddie Huber and I toured some lingering transient lakes in Christian, Todd,
Logan, and Warren counties yesterday. We had a nice list of 14 species of
shorebirds, but the highlights had to be the number of fuzzy little waterbirds
we encountered.

Swallow Spring Pond, Christian County: only 4 spp. of common shorebirds; at
least 2 ad. Pied-billed Grebes but no evidence of successful nesting; however,
there were two families of crisply plumaged, full grown Blue-winged Teal and a
nest full of 4 fuzzy Green Heron young (we had seen the adult incubating here
in June). The lake was also sprinkled with family groups of Mallards and Wood
Ducks at every stage from fresly hatched to full-grown. Also present were a
couple of adult Little Blue Herons.

Morgan Pond(s), Christian County: 10 spp. of shorebirds including an adult
Western, 2 Short-billed Dowitchers, and at least 5 Black-necked Stilts
including a pair vigorously defending 4 downy, week-or-so-old chicks from every
other shorebird and Red-winged Blackbird that even looked their way. These guys
actually may have a chance of making it as the water there continues to drop
very gradually. Eddie likened the gangly chicks to miniature ostriches, which I
hadn't thought of as appropriate until he mentioned it! There was also a family
of Pied-billed Grebes (3 small young) being fed by a parent and a family of
just-hatched Mallards in addition to numerous other Mallard and Wood Duck
broods. A good group of swallows was foraging and loafing on wires including
probably a couple hundred Banks.

NE corner Guthrie Swamp & US 79 pond ne. of KY 848, Todd County: nothing but
Killdeer & Mallards.

Pond nr. Mosley Pond, Logan County: 5 spp of common shorebirds including our
first Semipalmated Sandpiper.

McElroy Lake, Warren County: unfortunately, McElroy is reduced to about 3 small
pools, the ditch, and about a half-dozen low, wet spots, none of which will
last much longer with the upcoming hot, dry weather this week. The remaining
water was alive with birds, however, including 11 spp. of shorebirds
highlighted by 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 2 beautiful Stilt Sandpipers that
looked like they had not lost a single feather yet to molt, and at least 16
Western Sandpipers (which may be a state high count for early fall adults?).
Also present were many swallows (mostly Barn, Cliff and Bank), 5 Great Egrets,
2 juv. Little Blue Herons, and some families of Mallards and Wood Ducks. It is
too bad more folks didn't bird the lake this summer as there must have been
some interesting things around.

Chaney Lake, Warren County: another nice assortment of families of waterfowl
including another family of full-grown Blue-winged Teal young, plus what
appeared to be at least three distinct family groups of Pied-billed Grebes
(these much older than what was at Morgan Pond); also present was a male
Green-winged Teal (summering?) and an Upland Sandpiper that we heard calling
and just got to watch fly off to the west (it must have dropped in for a drink).

bpb & ebh