[birdky] RPT: Tom Dorman SNP, Garrard Co, 21 Sept 2005

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:35:04 -0400

I was at our Tom Dorman State Nature Preserve yesterday for the afternoon.
Finally broke 12 species of warblers in a day this fall ... by one! The 13
spp were Tennessee, No. Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Cape May (probably
the prettiest fall male I ever remember seeing!), Bay-breasted,
Black-throated Green, Black-and-white, American Redstart (still tied with
Maggie for most common), Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, and a
relatively tardy Yellow-breasted Chat.  Also encountered were both tanagers
and a couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  I was surprised not to see even a
single Red-eyed Vireo; I did hear two Yellow-throateds still in song.

This Preserve now has a nice loop trail that extends from some reverting old
field edge habitat to mature woods. It winds down to the Kentucky River bank
and back up again with a loop of about 1.5 to 2 miles. Makes for a nice
walk. This area is called Kentucky River Authority SNP on the DeLorme
gazetteer ... p 51, block C-8. It is accessible via access road off KY 1845
(look for small sign at the church on the right) off US 27 just south of the
Kentucky River bridge south of Nicholasville. If you happen to go, please
keep a list of birds observed and send it along to me for our files here at
KSNPC.

bpb, Louisville