[birdky] RPT: Spring meeting highlights

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:09:27 -0400

It always amazes me that 50 or more birders can get together for a
twice-a-year birding meeting and then everyone go home and NO ONE report on
what they see! I know in one regard everything thinks . . . well someone
else will do it . . .

I missed the Saturday evening list compilation, but I heard that the list
was at 162 species as of then and I think we added several things on Sunday
morning.

Highlights of which I am aware from northern Ky Lake/Lake Barkley/and Land
Between the Lakes -- unless otherwise noted -- follow (in new AOU order):

A sprinkling of Common Loons.

One flock of 10 migrant American White Pelicans moving north on Sat, I
believe

Lots of Double-crested cormorants -- they're gonna take over the world (fide
Elizabeth Ciuzio -- Fri night program :o)

Bald Eagles feeding at least one young in a nest

Flocks of 1, 2, 4 and 23 Willets over the weekend, most of the time at Ky
Dam Village beach, although there were 4 at Kuttawa Landing jetty yesterday.

6 species of gulls including a Lesser Black-backed on Ky Lake on Friday, a
Laughing Gull at various points including the Ky Dam marina on Fri or Sat
and at Calvert City yesterday; single Franklin's Gull on Ky Lake on Friday
and over the Ky Dam marina yesterday; a few lingering Bonies.

Lots of Forster's and Caspian Terns

A red morph Eastern Screech-Owl hiding in a cedar tree (good eyes, Celia).

The KY 453 pair of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers has returned and seem to be
collecting nest material already; they were seen going to the same pole they
used in 2002.

Migrant songbirds were GREAT in LBL on Sat and decent yesterday with I think
about 28 species of warblers reported including nice numbers of Nashville,
one or a few each of Chestnut-sided, Cape May, Blackpoll, Am Redstart,
Swainson's (1 on Ky Lake Drive), and No Waterthrush, lots of Yellow-rumps,
plus all the 20 or so spp of nesting warblers including Cerulean and Hooded.
Lots of orioles, tanagers, vireos, and some Swainson's Thrushes, Blue
Grosbeaks and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

Hap ran a trip to Fulton Co on Sat and had early Miss Kite, Peregrine
Falcon, and some shorebirds but nothing rare.

Yesterday, Mary Walter and Eddie Huber saw the Lovelaceville Harris's
Sparrow but could not find the Spotted Towhee.

Jackie Elmore mentioned to me last night that the recent rain has put some
water in McElroy Lake . . . maybe a nice pulse of shorebirds is to come
there ? ?

If anyone can think of things I missed, please chime in.

bpb, Louisville