[birdky] RPT: Purple Gallinule update

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:30:38 -0400

Amy Covert, Larry Peavler, Mary Walter, Ben Yandell and myself got some
wonderful looks at the Rowan County Purple Gallinule this morning from about
1030 to 1100 EDT. We first watched the bird from the cars then quietly while
standing along the driveway. After about 30 minutes of working in and out of
the near shore vegetation, it disappeared into the main patch of cattails on
the small marshy pond below, giving us only brief glimpses of itself
thereafter.

Later Amy, Larry and I did a quick run through the Minor Clark Fish Hatchery
... shorebirds again limited in numbers and diversity: Killdeer 10; Spotted
Spiper 1; Lesser Yellowlegs 1; Pectoral Spiper 35; Least Spiper 4 ... also
observed were about 10 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Northern Pintail, 1 American
Wigeon, a Blue/Snow Goose (same as previous summers?), and 5 Great Egrets
among the commoner species.

bpb, Louisville