[birdky] RPT: Purple Finches, Pine Siskin, et al in Jefferson Co.

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:20:24 -0400

Ever since I started birding in the early 1970s, one of my favorite things to
do is to witness birds migrating. This morning from 7:45 to almost 9:00 I did
one of my favorite fall things ... stood in one place out in the open just to
see what songbirds were moving diurnally. Birds move all day but the early AM
is especially active. During that 1 hour plus this morning, flock after flock
of 25-100 blackbirds moved by to the south (Red-wings, cowbirds and grackles
... most in relatively distinct groups by species). I also had a small group of
3 Purple Finches going over as well as a few Horned Larks and several small
groups of House Finches; goldfinches seemed to also be moving but the locals
made it hard to tell for sure; about the time I quit, small flocks of Blue Jays
had taken to the sky on their way south. Later in the morning I heard another
Purple Finch and a single Pine Siskin calling loudly as it passed overhead;
also had a single Red-headed Woodpecker overhead in direct southward flight. In
the afternoon I got another glimpse of yesterday's Nelson's Sharp-tailed
Sparrow. I also had a relatively tardy Blue Grosbeak and a female Rose-breasted
Grosbeak in the weedy garden that I plan to leave unmowed until spring.

bpb, Frankfort