[birdky] Re: RPT: Pine Siskin

  • From: "Douglas Hennig" <hennig@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:34:53 -0500

Sat Jan 12, 2008  It is good to hear that some unusual visitors are showing
up.  Mrs. Hennig and I are spending much of our time at a small apartment in
Ashland where a refreshing number of species frequent our feeder.  Two
Carolina Wrens feeding at the same time is a first for us anywhere.

This morning here at the farm house (98 acres of wooded steep hills-800' to
1250' in elevation), 10 or 12 bluebirds spent considerable time on the
ground and in the trees near our home.  A female perched for a while on a
porch post just 4 feet from my window.  Seeing a small flock of bluebirds
here isn't unusual but I don't recall seeing them at this time of the year.
Sunflower seed, peanut butter and beef suet were nearby but I never saw any
of them eating.

They have nested in boxes I put up this past year and then will seem to
disappear.  I've naively conjectured that they may spend time during the
most extreme heat or bitterest cold by resorting to small spaces in
abandoned coal mines that bedeck the property-especially in the deep
ravines.  55 degrees the year round would be nice compared to 15 degrees
outside last week.

Best birding wishes!

Doug Hennig

Magoffin/Morgan County line near exit 60 of the Mountain Parkway

  _____