[birdky] RPT: Ohio River at Louisville, 2/22/2015 afternoon

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:11:47 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

The Patagonia Rest Stop effect was in full force on the Ohio River at
Louisville today. Carol Besse & Major Waltman found a pretty ad. male Surf
Scoter on the Jeffersonville waterfront, which resulted in a number of us
descending upon the area and several very nice subsequent finds.

I also had a photo of 7 Common Mergansers sent to me taken from near River Road
near the entrance to Glenview (this was a good spot for divers last winter
across from the upstream end of Six-Mile Island).

Highlights:

Mute Swan ... 3 second-year [imm.] birds off the Falls of the Ohio SP overlook
(over next to Shippingport Island). Oddly, these appear to be the same three
birds seen flying over the Chamberlain Lane area earlier in the day (thanks to
photos by Rand Falls)

Diving ducks ... I think I counted at least 500 from above the Big-Four to
across from the Falls overlook this afternoon; breakdown might be relatively
accurate but probably slightly conservative as follows: Canvasback 200; Redhead
150; Greater Scaup 100; Common Goldeneye 50; Bufflehead 30+; White-winged
Scoter (3 off Kingfish/Buckhead's, 1 out in main basin off Ashland Park); Black
Scoter (continuing imm. male off Ashland Park); ad. male Surf noted above;
Ring-necked Duck 15-20+; Lesser Scaup (at least a few); Red-breasted and Hooded
Mergansers (a few).

Dabblers ... 50 Gadwall, 5 Northern Pintail, 2 Am Black Ducks, & Mallards off
the Falls overlook

Herring Gull ... at least 150, most in a raft out in the middle of the river
off Ashland Park; 20 or so on the lower fossil beds

Great Black-backed Gull ... first spied by Brian Johnson flying around the
fossil beds; nice looks by several of us in flight

Iceland Gull ... first-year bird in basin off Ashland Park (doc photo thanks to
Jamie Baker trudging down to the river bank thru the snow and ice)

Glaucous Gull ... an adult and a 3rd-year bird out in basin with the Herring
raft ( think these are the first of these age classes I've ever seen in
Louisville)

American Pipits .. a few out on the exposed fossil beds and edge of ice

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.birdky.org