[birdky] RPT: McElroy Lake, 7/11/2010

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:03:16 -0400

As of mid-day today, McElroy Lake was reduced to several large pools and spring
leads with the amount of open water reduced by a lush growth of muskgrass
(Chara sp.). As of this moment, the area appears to *finally* be getting
significant rain for the first time in about three weeks, but it may be too
little, too late to keep it from drying completely in the next several days.
Most of the shorebirds were either in the southwest corner in the spring leads
or near the northern end along the ditch.

Highlights from today:

9 spp of shorebirds including 5 Black-necked Stilts (it appeared that only one
pair remained incubating on a nest), 4 Short-billed Dowitchers, 7 Greater
Yellowlegs, and a Semipalmated Sandpiper; also Killdeer (500?), Spottys (2),
Solitary (7), Lesser Yellowlegs (6-8) and Pectoral (8-10). Most of the recent
waterfowl were still present plus 3 juv. Hooded Mergansers. At least 60 Great
Blue Herons have been joined by 7 Great Egrets. Swallows today were dominated
by Barns and Cliffs.

About 12:00 p.m., a coyote appeared from the west side of the lake and
meandered across the extensive flats towards the east. As it neared the
remaining water it veered to the north towards the higher area where the
Black-necked Stilts have been attempting to nest. The pair of stilts that
appears to be the only one still on a nest became very upset as the coyote
neared the nest site. As I watched in disbelief thru my scope from the
northeast corner of the lake it got very close to the spot where the incubating
stilt had been just seconds before, and it finally paused and appeared to begin
consuming the eggs. I shouted loudly and clapped my hands and immediately began
running towards the nest site; unfortunately I was 150-200 or more yards away
and it took a few seconds for the coyote to notice me, but it finally left the
spot and ran into the edge of the corn at the far north end. I returned to my
scope and watched for awhile; after 15 or 20 minutes, I noticed a stilt back on
the nest ... I don't know if the coyote only got some of the eggs or if the
bird was "incubating" the now empty nest (would they do that???) If there *are*
any remaining eggs and they are viable, perhaps fewer than 4 chicks will appear
with the pair in the next few days if the coyote does not return????

bpb, Louisville