[birdky] RPT: Louisville Pine Siskins, Nelson's S-t Sparrow et al.

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:44:47 -0400

Had a pretty good day today in Jefferson County.

Started out with two Pine Siskins at my mom's house on the family farm; they
flew out of a treetop before sunrise as if they had been roosting there.

Went to Melco and met Eddie Huber, Matt Stickel, Major Waltman, and Mary
Yandell. We tromped through some of the thick vegetation that is on the floor
of the basin. Highlights were a massive flock of 250+ House Finches; probably a
few hundred Swamp Sparrows, a few Lincoln's Sparrows, Savannahs, and a couple
of White-crowns; a late Blue Grosbeak (Major), and nice looks at a couple of
Marsh Wrens and a Sedge Wren.

I came back to the farm to mow a field of Indian grass; about 1/2 way done with
the field I spied a small rail scooting through the grass that I thought was
small enough for a Yellow so I called Eddie and the Bells. Eddie, Jennifer,
Jane & Pat came over and watched as I finished up the field. Jane & Pat & I got
a great look at the rail ... turned out to be a Virginia that ran out of the
grass into plain view (boy are they small when they are trying not be be
seen!). Then we all got decent looks at a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow and a
couple of Sedge Wrens; a second rail, probably another Virginia, flushed out
... and then Eddie & Jennifer and I ended up with great looks at a Henslow's
Sparrow that froze under a small tuft of grass for some photos.

bpb, Frankfort