[birdky] RPT: Lewis County WMA and South Shore WMA

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 21:49:13 -0500

Lewis County WMA (Sunday, May 8, 2011) - The Ohio River was back in its
banks yesterday evening.  There was a lot of sheet water in the fields at
the Rock Creek Access.  Shorebirds were present at most.  I could identify
greater yellowlegs and solitary sandpipers with my binoculars.  I need to go
back with a scope.  Three great egrets were enjoying the extra water too.
Wood ducks were the most common ducks on the water with a couple mallards.
A prothonotary warbler sang a few times at the edge of the long narrow
wetland where they have been present for a number of years.  A brief stop at
the Scaffold Lick Access yielded a Wilson's snipe in the soggy field
adjacent to the parking lot.  A wetland located between the parking area and
the river held 2 wood duck hens with broods.  One hen had 11 ducklings and
another had 2 ducklings.

South Shore WMA (Monday, May 9, 2011) - The best bird of the afternoon was a
least bittern, an adult female, sneaking through the flooded, thick maple
saplings on the downstream side of the levee.  Numerous wood duck broods
were present here too.  The water was still very high so shorebird habitat
was limited.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County