[birdky] RPT: LBL/dams vicinity, March 1-2, 2013 ... California Gull & Neotropic Cormorant +

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 22:55:48 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Eddie Huber, Brian Wulker, and myself birded around KY & Barkley Dams the last
two days; this afternoon we were joined by Michael Autin. Despite nearly
incessant light to moderate rain and snow showers, we were able to find some
good birds. Highlights:

California Gull -- adult both days at the heron/cormorant nesting island near
the Old Kuttawa Recreation Area, Lake Barkley. Yesterday's encounter involved a
bit of frustration (including a disappearing act by the bird, a couple of heavy
snow showers, and an ill-fated attempt to photograph the bird from a passing
commercial fisherman's boat) that ended with a less than full confidence of an
accurate ID. We refound it today, however, at the same location and were able
to obtain better views of it. A very bright bird that appears well advanced
into alternate plumage.

Neotropic Cormorant -- we created our own little "Patagonia Rest Stop Effect"
by returning to the nestnig island four times today; the final trip resulted in
the observation of a *tiny* adult cormorant standing right besides the Cal
Gull. It seemed 1/2 the bulk of some of the larger Double-cresteds (some of
which are *already* nesting) as it loafed with several dozen D-cresteds on the
shore of the island. It tugged at several saplings sprouting from the shore, so
maybe it will be in the mood to nest???

Lesser Black-backed Gulls -- 2 or 3; 3rd/4th year and same or adult at 2 spots
on Barkley; a first-year bird just above Ky Dam this morning.

Thayer's Gull -- first-year bird above Ky Dam yesterday.

Bonaparte's Gull -- fully-hooded adult bird at Eddy Creek yesterday; probably
2500+ total on Hammond & Poplar Creek embayments w. of Kuttawa.

Gulls -- very few feeding below both dams with Herrings outnumbering Ringers
both days. Small numbers of Am. White Pelicans are now below both dams most of
the time.

Forster's Tern -- 2 inside the Old Kuttawa Rec Area breakwater with Bonies.

Waterfowl -- relatively numerous on Lake Barkley but heat waves and snow
showers prevented good study. Hardly *any* waterfowl on Kentucky Lake above the
dam. In excess of 100 Red-breasted Mergansers at the mouth of Demumbers Bay
today.

Red Crossbill -- 2 (male and female) at the loblolly pine stand at the Ky
Sheriff's Ranch near the Ky Dam airport.

We stopped by Otter Pond, Caldwell County, yesterday. We had 8 species of
common waterfowl including at least 32 American Wigeon and about 2x that number
of Gadwall.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm