[birdky] RPT: Henderson/Union cos 7/12/2008

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:23:11 -0400

Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of the day the remnants of Hurricane Dennis
passed over western Kentucky, bringing with it the exciting birding of that
day!  For Eddie Huber and me, yesterday was more reminiscent of one that the
Yandells and I had in western Henderson County back in April, when most of our
action was at our first stop, the Ellis Park race track, and the Sloughs area
was nearly devoid of birds ....

Ellis Park would have been a bust, too, if it had not been for a flyover
Black-necked Stilt that we could not relocate after it flew out of view.

A quick stop at the Camp Mines in Union County revealed no non-Killdeer
shorebirds, indicating our day might be slow. There are 4 summering Ring-necked
Ducks at Camp #9 and there was a single American Coot at Camp #11, along with
Pied-billed Grebes at both locales. A Bell's Vireo and some juvenile
Grasshopper Sparrows were nice to see.

Shorebirds were at a premium, although the main slough along Horseshoe Road
provided us with a few birds: single Greater and Lesser yellowlegs and Solitary
Sandpiper, and at least 8 Leasts. There was also a nice Snowy Egret there.
Water is receding quickly there and will disappear soon without significant
rainfall.

The slough along KY 268 looks good but yesterday was obviously not the best day
to be checking it for migrants ... just one Least and Spotty with Killdeer,
although I did hear a Short-billed Dowitcher somewhere in flight.

An afternoon thunderstorm provided some relief from the stiffling heat, but
brought our day to a close relatively early.  Sorry we missed you, Charlie.

A quick stop by the Falls of the Ohio on the way back into Louisville revealed
that there were no shorebirds there, either. Del Striegel and Tom and Colleen
Becker have recently noticed that there are at least 7 Great Blue Heron nests
along the edge of Shippingport Island but you have to go down to the Geo Rogers
Clark Historical Site to view them across the river. The Osprey nest at the
hydro dam has apparently failed, unfortunately.

bpb, Frankfort