[birdky] RPT: "Free State of Logan" (Logan County) Observations

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:13:26 -0600

This morning at Lake Herndon (west central Logan County), I observed a
single White-winged Scoter female.  This bird represents a "Logan County
Bird" for me. I really enjoyed seeing it.  Also observed were:

Canada Goose, 11
Lesser Scaup, 1
Pied-billed Grebe, 7
Pileated Woodpecker, 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1
other very common species.

Yesterday, 02 February, I took a walk from my house to Lucket Knob and
through the surrounding pastures and fields.  I observed a group of 27 Wild
Turkeys.  Also on this walk, I saw 3 groups of white-tailed deer, 1 group of
3, 1 group of 7, and 1 group of 11.  This made a total of 21 White-tailed
deer on a walk of about 1 hour covering a mile at best.  I found that number
of deer in such a small area to be amazing and probably quite "unnatural".

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276