[birdky] RPT: Feeder watching in Jefferson County

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:31:07 -0500

Since last week's 7 inches of snow, my feeding station has been hopping.
Nothing particularly rare, but a nice mix of birds that are nice to have out
the windows ....

Approx. minimum max. counts since Saturday:

Cooper's Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 25
Great Horned Owl (pair dueting night before last; maybe looking for the rabbit
that eats seed at night ... :o)
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 4
Carolina Chickadee 10
Tufted Titmouse 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 2
American Robin 1 (looking for insects on bare areas where the birds are eating)
Northern Mockingbird (apparently trying to make a meal of some cracked corn)
European Starling 35
Eastern Towhee 5
American Tree Sparrow (prior to all the snow I had 5-7; after the last snow, my
numbers jumped to 35 or so;
    now I can sometimes scan and count 55!)
Chipping Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 1 (a new arrival today)
Fox Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 6
White-throated Sparrow 20
Dark-eyed Junco 25
Northern Cardinal 40
Red-winged Blackbird 6
Rusty Blackbird 13
Common Grackle 6
Brown-headed Cowbird 300
House Finch 8
American Goldfinch 1 (I never seem to have many finches for some reason???)

Missing from earlier in the winter (Northern Flicker & Red-breasted Nuthatch).

Out on the farm lane, I've put cracked corn out on the scraped ground and
haven't had too much ...

Horned Lark 44 (a few days ago; currently none)
Lapland Longspur 4 (ditto)
Eastern Meadowlark 4

bpb, Louisville