[birdky] RPT: Cave Run area

  • From: Brian Wulker <bdwulker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 13:26:23 -0400

Hi all,

Yesterday (4-11) I saw a small line of thunderstorms about to move through
the Morehead area, so I decided to take a quick run down to Minor Clark to
see if anything good had been riding the south winds before it hit the
storms.  The best bird was an American Golden Plover, the 1st I've had in
the spring here.  There was also my first 3 Lesser Yellowlegs of the year.
Other notable sightings included a Chimney Swift, several Cliff Swallows, a
Bank Swallow, and an unknown calidris sp. flying over.  I also had an
Ovenbird singing in Morehead, and about 10 Cliff Swallows checking out last
years nests under a bridge over Triplett Creek in Morehead.

Today (4-12) I was down in the Beaver Creek Wetlands for most of the
morning, and then checked a few spots along Cave Run Lake afterwards.  The
best find was the odd sight of 2 Sandhill Cranes. The cranes flushed from
an open area of Beaver Creek, and I was expecting them to be Great Blue
Herons, but the binoculars reveled red caps, gray bodies with some rusty
patches on the 2nd bird, and long rectangular crane wings. Other highlights
from Beaver Creek included:
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
White-eyed Vireo
Eastern Kingbird
Wilson's Snipe
4 Rusty Blackbirds.

The Cave Run stops I added:
Hooded Warbler
Blue-headed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Broad-winged Hawk

I ended up with 80 species in about 4.5 hours.

Good birding,
Brian Wulker