[birdky] RPT: Brown Thrasher and brown creepers

  • From: "scott freidhof" <scottf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:31:08 -0500

Monday, Dec. 5, 2005: Heard and then observed a brown thrasher at the
Paintsville Lake WMA today (Johnson County).  The bird issued the
typical "spit" call followed by a loud and liquid-like single-note call.
I can remember hearing this call note only once or twice prior to today.
The bird was feeding on berries in between calls.  I believe he was
feeding on flowering dogwood berries, but there may have been some
greenbrier and/or grape vines in the dogwood crown too.

Saturday, Dec. 3, 2005: Noticed 2 brown creepers at the Booth Tract of
the Clay WMA in Fleming County.  Both birds were part of larger winter
foraging groups of birds including all the expected.

Scott Freidhof

Morehead, Rowan County