[birdky] RPT: Birding Southcentral Louisville; Dickcissels and...

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:39:57 -0400

After a long night of talking with a friend of mine while listening to the
night-herons squawk at their nests, i woke up in the morning to find an imm.
sitting on a wire and the day went from there.  I then decided to head to
National Turnpike to check on a fem. Dickcissel I had there a couple of weeks
ago, and no show.  So I continued South on National Turnpike towards Jefferson
Memorial Forest and saw a decent looking field, and I stopped just briefly to
see if maybe something interesting was there and I was immediately greeted by a
few singing Dickcissels.  I then scanned the field to find them and saw a bird
fly up, but noticed it had white wing patches, probably a mockingbird.  Then as
it flew closer I saw that the flight looked a little too rapid and as it got
even closer I saw the defining fieldmark... a black mask!  A very ragged
looking LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE took a perch several hundred feet from me briefly
before clearing the field and dissappearing over a subdivision.  For well over
two hours I stood in nearly the same spot waiting for it to come back or get  a
look at the dickcissels, no luck on either front.  Scopeless i was powerless to
get good looks at the Dickcissels that were singing well over 200 feet away.
So i continued on to the landfill property where the only bird of note was a
Cooperative imm. Green Heron that sat on a wire that I obtained footage of. I
then proceeded to Minors lane where I finished the day at 3:30pm.  highlights:

Great Egret-1 at wetland off National Turnpike

Black-cr. Night Heron-2 same

Purple Martin- several groups on wires and flying scattered at every location
probably totaling 80 birds

Eastern Bluebird-2 at Minors Lane - dont always find them

all three mimids- in fact a catbird and a Brown Thrasher flew out of a low bush
at exact same moment traveling in the same direction

Common Yellowthroat-7 singing at Minors Lane, National Turnpike and landfill

Yellow-breasted Chat-1 Minors Lane

Blue Grosbeak-2 singing Minors Lane

Eastern meadowlark-6 scattered

My friend said she saw an American Coot on a small lake off National Turnpike 2
days ago but hasn't seen it since

Good Birding,

Michael Autin Louisville, KY