[birdky] RPT: American Avocets at the Falls of the Ohio & Shaker Village MAPS banding

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:02:58 -0400

The internet has been doing weird things lately, and maybe this has been
posted but not gotten to me, but ...

Del Striegel found some American Avocets at the Falls of the Ohio this
morning. Eddie Huber went down there later and reported 3 (so maybe
there are only 2? ... :o)

The juvenile White Ibis continues there as well, although it moves in
and out behind the vegetation of the pools to the right of the overlook
out on the main fossil beds.

This morning I assisted Kate Heyden, Ben Leffew, and Dan Stoelb at the
Shaker Village MAPS banding station. On Tuesday morning we caught a
Black-billed Cuckoo ... this morning that same bird was recaptured and
another was seen next to the net that the first was being extracted
from. We also caught a Least Flycatcher ... this is about the 4th
mid-July record in the state away from nesting areas and must indicate a
relatively regular initiation of migration this early.

bpb, Louisville