[birdky] RPT: A Long weekend with some birding in between in Jefferson Co. 05/07-05/08; lots of warblers and a few others

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:29:38 -0400

I went out after a long walk to Q-doba on Bardstown Road Saturday morning at
around 6 AM, and on my way back to my car in Germantown, the air was full of
song.  Everywhere I went I heard warblers singing; Tennesse, Nashville,
Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, and Blackpoll Warblers as well as
redstarts.  As I had no binocs I was glad when walking by a cemetery on Ellison
that the trees around Beargrass Creek contained cooperative Palm Warbler,
Common Yellowthroat and Scarlet Tanager.  When I got back to my car on Krieger,
the tree across from where I was parked was full of birds; 3 Philadelphia
Vireos, 3 Scarlet Tanager males, a Yellow Warbler, a Magnolia Warbler, and a
Baltimore Oriole.  I was making up for lost time quickly.  Driving to my
friend's house, who I was supposed to go to Muscatatuck with, I decided to
sleep in my car for a few hours, and when I awoke he announced he had other
things to do; fortuitous for me as it turned out.  I met Gerald Heath and Marge
? at Cherokee Park by Maple Road and it was loaded!  After the rain let up I
continued on alone for 3 hours or so and probably had one of the best bird days
there I have had in years.  The list:

Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird- heard a couple of times never actually saw
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
No. Flicker
Least Flycatcher- 8 or so all making diagnostic whit calls
Eastern Phoebe
Red-eyed Vireo-FOS
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
No. Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Caro. Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-br. Nuthatch
Caro. Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher- a pair agressively defended their territory, divebombing
a grackle; fearless
Swainson's Thrush- lots could not make a single one into a gray-cheeked
Wood Thrush-3 FOS
poss. Veery- light was poor and bird had back to us
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
No. Mockingbird
Eurostar
Cedar Waxwing- good-sized flock in one area during drizzle
Warblers:
Tennessee-lots as always-FOS
Nashville-3
No. Parula-4
Yellow-2
Chestnut-sided-4 FOS
Magnolia-5 FOS
Yellow-rumped-still numerous
Black-throated Green-2 FOS
Yellow-throated-3
Palm-3
Bay-breasted-3 FOS
Blackpoll- a pair moved around low in the trees-FOS
Black-and-White-1 FOS
Am. Redstart- plentiful, but not as many as I would have expected FOS
Northern Waterthrush-everywhere- never out of range of at least one-7 easily
Hooded-1 fem. FOS
Canada- 1 beautiful cooperative adult foraged close enough to obtain poor pics-
best look I have had in years FOS
Song Sparrow- White-throated was reported by Gerald
No. Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak- usually in pairs but I had one group of about 5
individuals-FOS
Grackle
Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole-3 FOS
House Finch
Am. Goldfinch

When I got home from work today at 3:00, the scraggly tree in my backyard
played host to a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks quietly feeding  in the lower
canopy and my first Yellow-throated Vireo of the year.  If I don't get out the
rest of this season I am happy with the results.
I still haven't seen an Indigo Bunting yet, but have seen several Blue
Grosbeaks.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin Louisville, KY