[birdky] RFI - Semipalmated Plover behaviour

  • From: Gerald robe <geraldrobe123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:31:09 -0400

This weekend, I saw a Semipalmated Plover at the Minor Clark Fish Hatchery.
As I was watching the bird, I noticed that it would put one leg slightly
forward, and then rapidly move it back-and-forth as though it was trying to
shake the ground. It would do that for a couple of seconds, and then either
move on or pick something up and eat it.

I'm guessing maybe it was trying to cause vibrations that made prey items
move. Has anyone heard of/seen this behavior before?

--
Gerald H. Robe
Mt. Sterling, KY