[birdky] RFI: Cackling Goose records

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:17:07 -0400

The recent AOU "split" of the Canada Geese into typical large forms and the
rarer small races (variously referred to as Hutchin's or Richardson's here
-- Branta canadensis hutchinsii is called the Richardson's Goose -- go
figure :o) gives us a new species for the state. However, there has not been
a lot published about the small race in Kentucky. I have started to compile
all the published records I can find on certain, supposed, and reported
Richardson's/Hutchin's [now = Cackling] Geese. Anyone who wishes to furnish
sight or photo records of this species from Kentucky is encouraged to do so.
I don't know if there are any specimens. You can reply to this email address
at any time.

I suppose we have a pretty decent number of counties in which the species
has been reported. From what I think I have experienced since the mid-1970s,
it has increased in Kentucky like other geese. I recall hearing of reports
by Bill Kemper and Fred Loetscher from the Brown Power Plant in Mercer
County, but am not sure it's been reported farther east (anyone with
sightings from Cave Run Lake/Minor Clark Fish Hatchery is especially
encouraged to submit reports).  I assume everyone is clear on what this new
species involves . . . only the smallest, Mallardish-sized races, not the
medium-sized Lessers.

Based on Mengel's account, the "first" record of this species in Kentucky
will apparently come from Leon Otley Pindar, who reported B. c. hutchinsii
from Fulton County in 1890. Gordon Wilson reported it tentatively from the
transient lakes in southern Warren County as early as 1937.

The increase and spread of "reintroduced" and relatively resident birds
across Kentucky has clouded the occurrence of true migrants and wintering
birds from farther north, but we certainly get many and small numbers of the
Cacklings should come south every winter with larger groups of typical
birds.  Normal early fall dates will probably prove to be sometime around
Thanksgiving with most late spring birds lingering only into some time in
March. Any such early and late dates are also of interest at this point.

I will be searching the volumes of The Kentucky Warbler for all reports of
the species and try to put together something for The Kentucky Warbler.

bpb, Louisville