[birdky] RBA Piping plover

  • From: "Scott & Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:58:55 -0500

Found and photographed an adult piping plover on the large pool between Island
#1 and the old boatramp at Laketon this morning around 09:00.  Also present
were a few semi plovers,spotted sp., solitary sp,  least sandpipers, semi sand,
and at least 5 western sandpipers.  Several Killdeer and a few pectorals were
present as well but overall; not a lot in the way of numbers unless you count
the several thousand swallows and at least 100 fish crows.

Ballard wma--  There is still a large # of waders roosting on Mitchell as
approx 150 (plus great blues) were still present this morning at 06:40 when I
arrived and had likely been flying out for 20 minutes.  I picked up a couple of
lesser yellgs and maybe 75 pectorals there early this morning as well.  When I
returned around noon the only shorebird species I could find on Mitchell were
the 150 or so killdeer.  There were also several (maybe 75) killdeer in the
alfalfa fields on Smokey road.  Also, at Ballard below Dam # 53 there were a
few small pools and several piles of rock out near the spillway.  No shorebirds
were present but 6 Caspian terns were feeding and resting below dam #53 and 5
Black terns flew by heading downstream while I was there.

Scott Record
Ragland KY