[birdky] Peregrine cliff-dwelling pair

  • From: Tina Nauman <tinanauman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 19:21:41 -0500

Boone and Dixie remain solidly on site with bursting crops. Winter vacation
doesn't seem to on their agenda yet.

Yesterday I got to hear each call separately as they notified the other of
a RTH in the area. The male has a lower very mechanical ticking call. The
female has a much higher call and is much more vocal. The RTH is missing a
primary wing feather which makes me wonder if it will slowly be plucked
unless it gets the message that it is not welcome, but I don't know that is
the reason for the missing feather. This is likely a RTH that has
peacefully nested nearby for many years. Boone exited in the afternoon by
doing a tight spiral on a thermal until he was so high he just disappeared.

Photos are starting to be similar from visit to visit but I find it
difficult to stop taking photos. I am trying to take more time to just
watch them and keep the camera in my lap.

http://tinanauman.zenfolio.com/p499902826

Tina Nauman with Pat Nichols
Lexington, KY