[birdky] Peabody WMA Field Trip on February 1

  • From: Beckhambc@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:53:43 EST

Birders came from Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee to participate in this
field trip on the Peabody Wildlife Management Area. The sixteen observers had
a fun-filled day searching the area. Birds were rather scarce, but the group
managed to find 48 species. After climbing to the top of a hill short-eared
owls flew up and circled overhead. Rough-legged Hawks and Northern Harriers
were highlights of the trip. A special find was a small subspecies of the
Canada Goose, a Richardson's Goose. It flew in with other geese and a good
comparison was had with the larger birds. Several species were added to our
list when the participants visited a yard where  birds were being fed. The
most notable species was a Ross' Goose.

A very nice USF&W officer with his dog Griz met us at one point on our trip.
We shared our cookies with him and his dog. One more note about this trip,
the roads were so muddy that it took four washings to get our car clean.

It was cold and windy, but it always special to bird in this part of Kentucky.

Pat and Jane Bell
Louisville, KY