[birdky] Odd duck

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 19:58:24 -0500

Yesterday while I was at Parsons Pond, right taking my Lesser Scaup pictures
that I mistakenly called Greater Scaup, an SUV stopped up on the road. I
assumed it was some local puzzled by me walking across a muddy bean
stubblefield, but it was Steve and Debbie Hamilton out birding. In
conversation, I learned from them that an odd duck had been spotted at Swan
Lake in Dunbar Cave State Park, Clarksville, TN. Although I didn't see any
recent TN bird reports from Montgomery County, Alison and I stopped by there
today to see what we could see. There was a duck there that resembled a female
scaup, but with orange where there should be white. It was napping beside 2
Ruddy Ducks. Several Coots swam back and forth nearby. It took a long time to
catch it with its head out from under its wing but I finally got a few passable
pictures of it. Amy Wallace, the park naturalist, said that today was the first
day she had seen it and that she didn't know about other TN birders scouting
for an odd duck there. I don't know for sure that this is the duck that got a
few TN birders plus a certain non reporting KY birder interested, but here is
what I got -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57339816@N08/
Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY

================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS=============
When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm