[birdky] OK birders: Here's a spider/snake mystery for you

  • From: "Michael Hamm" <hamm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:48:22 -0400

We have a cabin the wooded Knobs of Boyle County. It has a screened
porch. On that porch I keep a sealed plastic garbage can for sunflower
seeds that I use to feed the resident birds. Spiders have constructed
some webs between the can and the porch wall. The other day I noticed
that a small snakeskin (6-8 inches) was imbedded in one of the webs,
suspended about two feet off the floor in mid-air.

I have no idea how a snake could have gotten into the porch in the first
place as the cabin/porch is built well off the ground with no obvious
places for entry/exit. But the real mystery is how a snakeskin could get
suspended in a spider web two feet off the ground? No way the web could
support a shedding snake. Do spiders drag snakeskins in from the outside
to help construct their webs?

Nature sure is mysterious. Any thoughts?

Michael Hamm
Danville