[birdky] National geo moment

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 15:06:27 -0400 (EDT)

I was about to put on my boots and walk across the mud flat when  I noticed
a large Water moccasin exploring the fresh mud where I would be  walking. I
chose to stay on the dock and watch the snake. The next thing that
happened amazed me.
A Northern Waterthrush jumped onto the mud in front of the snake. The bird
danced and bobbed around the snake as if he was playing a game of chicken.
This  continue for quite sometime. The snake loosely coiled but never struck
the bird.  The waterthrush actually stood on the snake at one point.
When the snake moved, the bird set off after it and continue the  dance.
When the bird tired of his game he took a bath next to the snake and acted
like he didn't have a care in the world. The snake eventually wandered off
for a  little peace.  Had the snake eaten the waterthrushes best friend or
was  this bird stupid and lucky.
The mud flats are beautiful now and the shorebirds are dropping in.

Crappie Hollow, Blood River (Calloway Co.), Calloway, US-KY
Sep 4, 2011  10:45 AM - 12:45 PM
Canada Goose  70
Blue-winged Teal   34
Wild Turkey  1